Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Daily Thumbs Report - February 4, 2009

Thumbs Down
Finding a roach on the curtain behind our heads, above our bed, first thing in the morning.  BLECH.  Thankfully, it was on the other side of the curtain.  But I think it'd been there most of the night, because I remember looking up at one point and noticing some kind of blob above my head.  Not cool.
Thumbs Up
Store-brand Irish Creme non-dairy creamer.  Pick any store-brand, they're all pretty consistently good.  I wouldn't try applying the up-thumb to other types of non-dairy creamer; many of them are so fake they're nasty.  And this one's probably fake too, but somehow it just works anyways (enough for me to buy a thing of it to keep in my desk at work).
Thumbs Down
Weak coffee.  So we have two types of coffee in the office, one generic (it's actually pretty good, though I don't think it's your typical Folgers or Maxwell House or any of those) and also Starbucks Verona - very nice.  Except when people think that since it's bold they can only use part of the packet for a whole pot of coffee.  At that point it's not real coffee, at least not any more than Pierce Brosnan is a real singer.
Thumbs Up
Martin's Barbeque.  Sausage wrap, fries, tea with free refills, and a 24% tip: $5.10.
Thumbs Up
Navasota Theatre Alliance.  Kathryn's involved in a play called George Washington Slept Here.  Last night I went to watch them rehearse.  Fun stuff!  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.  Teaser: Kathryn will be showing off her Lamplighter barnyard skills...
Thumbs Down
More roaches.  We got home and I got to clean up the carcasses of five dead roaches from around the house since I sprayed strategically all over the house before we left for Kathryn's rehearsal.
Thumbs Up
Dead roaches.  The best kind, of course.  If nothing else, the sheer number of dead ones tells me that my strategy of spraying this stuff in strategic locations paid off.
Thumbs Up
I don't intend to end this blog post on a gross note.  So I'll leave you with a positive, warmly happy story:  
A family was sitting around their living room one sunny afternoon, enjoying life and each other, laughing at the antics of their crazy, but lovable ham of an uncle.  Suddenly, their new puppy, recently rescued from the animal shelter, scampered into the room happily, sliding on the floor and into a fluffy bean bag chair.  Promptly, the too-cute puppy turned its head to the side and made a quizzical face.  The beautiful family in their sunlit living room all burst into laughter at the utter adorableness of the puppy and enjoyed a moment they will cherish forever.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Thumbs down: Number of times the word roach appears in this post.
Thumbs up: What a fun idea! In a teeny-bopper book I'm ashamed to admit I read, a main character keeps a journal by having an "in" (like cool) and "out" (like bad) column and writing brief things in each one that sum up well what's going on with her that day. I actually liked the idea, but couldn't think of a different way of doing the same thing... but you have! Go Joe!